Popcorn Birthday Cupcakes
Prep Time 30 MINS
Cook Time 30 MINS
Serves 12 servings (1 cupcake each)
- PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 bag (99 g each) Orville Redenbacher's® Gourmet® Buttery Flavour Microwave Popcorn
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 container (16 oz or 454 g) ready-to-spread frosting
- Birthday candles, optional
- Candy sprinkles, optional
Start a fun family tradition with Popcorn Birthday Cupcakes—a different twist to cake cupcakes! Simply make popcorn balls, shape into muffin tins, and then frost the top.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Spray 13x9-inch baking pan and twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Prepare popcorn according to package directions.
- Remove any unpopped kernels.
- Spread popped corn evenly in baking pan.
- Melt margarine in medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add sugar, corn syrup and salt; bring to a boil.
- Boil 2 minutes stirring constantly; remove from heat.
- Stir in baking soda; mix well.
- Pour over popcorn and toss gently to coat evenly.
- Bake 5 minutes, stirring once halfway through baking.
- Remove from oven; stir well.
- Cool 5 minutes.
- Spray hands with cooking spray.
- Divide popcorn mixture into 12 portions; shape each portion in each muffin cup to resemble a cupcake.
- Spread frosting on the top mounded part of each popcorn cupcake.
- Add sprinkles and candle, if desired. Store in tightly sealed container.