Kung Pao Crunch Bars
Prep Time 10 MINS
Cook Time 40 MINS
Serves 18 (1 each)
- 1 bag (80 g each) Orville Redenbacher's® Smart Pop!® Buttery Flavour Microwave Popcorn
- 2 cups Chow Mein Noodles (2 cups = 4 oz)
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
This unique treat was a Redenbacher family favourite—it combines peanuts and chow mein noodles for crunchy popcorn bars with a spicy-sweet flavor.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Prepare popcorn according to package directions.
- Remove all unpopped kernels.
- Place popped corn, chow mein noodles and peanuts in large bowl.
- Place corn syrup in small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Continue to cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in sesame oil and red pepper; mix well.
- Pour over popcorn mixture.
- Stir with spoon sprayed with cooking spray, until popcorn mixture is coated evenly.
- Transfer to 13x9-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Press down popcorn mixture using back of spoon.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes before cutting into 18 squares.
- Store in tightly sealed container up to 3 days.